The People’s Bill of Rights
BE IT RESOLVED by the Democratic Caucus of House of Representatives of the state of Tennessee, in the 110th General Assembly, that the following Rights be proposed to the people of the state of Tennessee, to remind us, your representatives, that we have the solemn responsibility to ensure through our acts a better life for all the people of Tennessee, and that, ultimately, the people of Tennessee are our employers to whom we will be held accountable for our actions and legislations while serving as your elected representatives.
- The right to an economy that offers well-paying jobs. Tennesseans need jobs that allow them to provide for their families and build up their communities.
- The right to safe neighborhoods and a fair and sensible justice system. Tennesseans need a justice system that protects them from violence and lawlessness while promoting justice and encouraging those who want to live lawfully to lead productive lives.
- The right to strong, well-funded public schools and universities that provide all children the means to reach the highest levels of achievement. Tennesseans need public schools that give them the opportunity to go as far as their abilities and hard work will take them.
- The right to high-quality healthcare for all citizens. Tennesseans need quality healthcare that gives them the health and freedom they need to pursue their goals without being hindered by preventable illness and disease.
- The right to participate in our Democracy without facing unreasonable obstacles. Tennesseans are entitled to participate fully and freely in elections and control their own government according to their priorities.